Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

OFWs: Evolving the Beast of Burden into the Tip of the Spear

I was doing a leisurely read on a humdrum topic which has become staple fodder of Pinoy melodrama and revenue – OFWs. It used to be a surreal topic, until I became an overseas Pinoy myself. I faced the same challenges – homesickness, isolation, finding my way around, building new social networks – and was fortunate enough to have mentors who showed me the ropes. From a feeling of guilt if am not making sacrifices for the “common good” to a sense of fulfillment in achieving a personal win. For the first time, I am able to define myself in terms of myself – not what my parents want, not what my cousins, barkada, kapitbahay, masahista, driver, maid, mom’s acquaintances, dad’s acquaintances – not having the entire barrio to tell you what you should do with your life. I, me, myself – on my terms. Oh by golly, the silence is sweet, priceless. From a person expected to conform you are given personal responsibility – no social nets, no kaibigan, kapatid, kamag-anak, koneksyon – you rise and fall on the basis of merit.

No comments: